Friday, September 25, 2009

TAMCC

In an earlier post I had mentioned that I may be starting an additional project at TAMCC (T.A. Marryshow Community College) helping with counseling. I finally met with Dr. LaTouche (our APCD aka my boss) and the director of Student Affairs at TAMCC to discuss what this project with entail.



When I had briefing discussed the idea of adding this project to my workload with Dr. LaTouche, he had me under the impression that this assignment would consist of helping the current counselor at TAMCC lighten her load of one-on-one counseling with the students; seen as how she is the only counselor for almost 3,000 students. Even though the assignment sounded like I would mostly just be sitting at a desk and waiting for students to walk in for an appointment, I was still eager to take on this project because I have a special interest in working with young adults in the area of social work and counseling.



After meeting with one of the directors of Student Affairs (who also happens to be the lone counselor), I realized the reason that they were so eager to have me volunteering is because there is a lot of work that needs to be done! Along with assisting in the one-on-one counseling, I was also start to assist with creating seminars that will address the topics of anger management, coping with stress, and improving self esteem. Additionally, I will also be assisting with improving the current peer pals program to hopefully increase student involvement and strengthen the existence of the program itself.



So, while this supplemental project was not entirely what I expected, I am even more excited about the idea of adding this onto my workload. I think that the work that I will be assisting with here will be very fulfilling. I'm excited to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment