Friday, September 25, 2009

Communication

During this week in my personal development class at PAM, we discussed the topic of communication. We spent most of the time thinking about positive ways to effectively communicate the messages that we are trying to say to others instead of coming across negatively. In trying to apply this idea to real life situations, one of the girls, Aria, volunteered an example of a conversation she might have with her child's father. I realized through our discussion that she has been struggling with him to take an interest in her and their child's life. We discussed different strategies and scenarios to be able to talk to him in a way that will get through to him about the importance of her feelings and what she has to say. I felt like the classroom discussion went really well. Then, today as I was finishing up with my reading class, Aria came up to me with a big smile on her face. She told me that she called him (her child's father)! And she asked him if she could schedule a time to meet with him because she had some things she wanted to talk to him about. She seemed so proud of herself that she had taken the step to open the communication between the two of them. And then proceeded to ask me how she should go about trying to talk to him about the feelings she has been having.

I feel very fulfilled knowing that the conceptual idea I picked for class this week is really having positive effects on these girls. I am glad to know that they are thinking about our classroom topics and applying these ideas to their lives.

Yay for this week's small accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment