Thursday, September 3, 2009

Into the swing of things

So, it has almost been exactly 6 months since the last time I have written on here, but I thought now that I have settled in and have the time, that I would finally get back to writing on this more regularly. Better late than never, right?!

In the last 6 months, I have experienced a lot here in Grenada. In March and April, I was completing my Pre-Service Training that lasted for 7 weeks while I was living with my homestay family. On April 20th, the EC79 Peace Corps Grenada group completed our training with a Swearing-In Ceremony. That same day, I also got to move into my independent housing (which I absolutely love).

Since then, I have began my work in youth development by volunteering my time with 3 different organizations. The first, which is my primary worksite, is called the Programme for Adolescent Mothers (PAM). The second, working at a primary school called J.W. Fletcher R.C. And the last, helping teach swim lessons for a learn-to-swim program.

The school year ended on July 3 and will be starting back up again this coming Monday (Sept. 7). During the last 2 months, I was trying to keep myself busy by volunteering at a summer camp called Camp Tufton and a retreat for the girls at PAM.

In August, my fiance Ernest, came down to visit!! We went all over Grenada to see the many beautiful beaches and waterfalls. He was also here to celebrate Carnival with me. Grenada's Carnival consists of several concerts with soca, calypso, and steel pan drum music, and many street festivities.




Here are some pictures to see what all I have been up to in the last 6 months:



Swearing-In Ceremony




Service-Learning Activity at J.W. Fletcher R.C. Primary School



Women's Retreat at the Heritage House

PAM Graduation






PAM Retreat








Camp Tufton








CARNIVAL
Panorama - Steel Pan Drum Concert

CARNIVAL
Monday Night Mas

No comments:

Post a Comment