Friday, September 18, 2009

Books

So, as I begin to assist students with reading here in Grenada, it has made me realize how precious knowledge really can be. Just think about the idea of going through life without reading at all. I'm sure that we all could manage, but think about all the things that you would be missing out on. It seems like such a tragedy to miss out on such a basic element of life; written language. I hope that in my time here that I can give students a better concept of reading so that they can decipher words and learn to read on their own to help them with the words they see in their daily life.

Working with students to learn how to read has also given me a better appreciation for reading books myself. I think back to all the books in school that I was suppose to read that I just skipped over, because I wasn't interested. Wasn't interested?! I have this wonderful brain that can not only read the words, but can figure out complex ideas and concepts and yet what am I doing with it? Not reading all the materials available seems almost like a crime. I plan to start making more time to read and learn on my own through all the many resources that are available. You don't always have to go to the best college or university to get the best education. Learning can be done all alone with some determination, research, and some good ol' reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment